Where have I been? Where have YOU been? You don’t call, you don’t write….
Every week feels insane around these parts but this one has been actually insane.
For one: we were slated to depart to Dubai tonight, and had to cancel the trip (and relinquish our plane tickets which were not NOT expensive) at the last minute, because our friend’s daughter contracted an illness that should have died in 1945 where other illnesses for which we have vaccines should have stayed. But unfortunately, some parents are assholes and don’t vaccinate their children. And so we were left with the thought of spending a week in a hotel in Dubai and friends who rightfully had to look after a sick daughter, and pulled the plug Wednesday.
On a positive note, I’d already had a facial, manicure and pedicure in anticipation of a trip to the land of glitz and nothing was going to stop me from putting them to good use.
First, my husband suggested we go skiing. Then we thought perhaps a road trip to Charleston via a number of bed and breakfasts along the way would be fun (sidebar- I still really want to do this trip). Finally, at 1 am on Wednesday night, exasperated by the seemingly endless options that also required a great deal of planning- the Mr. looked up at me.
“How about Hawaii?!” he said excitedly.
“HOW BOWT DAT,” I replied in my head. (What I really said, trying to shield my excitement lest I give him second thoughts, was “Hawaii could be a good idea!”)
Ten minutes later we had roundtrip direct flights (thank you Delta. We lub you lontime). Then we promptly passed out because 1 am is way past our bedtime.
The next morning at work, I shot a note to our travel alias, a group of techies who love their travel and have been just about everywhere on earth. “Dear Travellers,” I wrote. “Please send recommendations for Hawaii. We have no children and are moderately adventurous (i.e. would love great hiking recommendations, but anything involving deep sea diving or jumping off of tall things is a no go). So a really great hotel with good design is what we’d like, since we will be lounging around reading a good deal. We also love good beaches and good food, because we’re human 🙂 GO”.
Within hours, dear reader, our entire trip was planned. People who have gone to Hawaii, it turns out, are rabidly obsessed with talking about what they did and where they stayed. It was a God send.
A few lessons I learned:
$$ doesn’t buy happiness, but it does buy the flexibility to get out of really shitty situations, and that is a blessing. A blessing that leads to happiness 😉 I’m thankful we were able to turn lemons into Lemonade, just like Beyonce (if we gonna heal, let it be GLORIUOUSSSS)
Spontaneity is kinda the best. I was so excited to see friends in Dubai, but everything that has been happening domestically lately has made me uneasy to leave. Couple that with the fact that what I really need at the end of this long and brutal quarter is to commune with nature wholly, to kick off my shoes and thrown on a swimsuit and just be for a week. Spontaneous planning allows you to do what you want in that very particular moment.
Rely on the wisdom of the masses! Or at the very best, a small group of people who love to travel. It takes the complete hassle out of planning a trip.
So there you have it. The trip portion anyway.
A few other things I have been loving lately:
1) Podcasts – specifically Pod Save America and Ezra Klein’s podcast on Vox. I can’t tell you how much listening to these has revolutionized my walk to work. They make me feel informed, educated, and relatively at peace that there are still smart voices in this world. HIGHLY recommend.
2) Pig Bleecker- A new restaurant that has opened at the corner of Bleecker and Thompson streets that serves an excellent bib lettuce salad, chick lollipops, burgers, fish and other things we crave about all the time. So happy to have a new addition to Greenwich Village. We love you already.
3) These LL Bean shearling moccasins that the husband got for me that i basically live in these days. Happy feet, happy life.
4) Big Little Lies (HBO)– I have to admit the first episode did not endear me to any of these characters but now I am completely hooked. The Celeste story line in particular is intriguing. Watch it and let me know what you think.
5) The snow today – we haven’t had a lot of it this winter and it’s always magical to me to sit and watch it fall. I needed a quiet snowy day today and this was juts the ticket!
That is about it for this much awaited dispatch. I promise not to be a stranger for too long hereafter.